|This page is an Official Policy on the Storm and Silence Wiki.
The following illustrates standards of conduct which are widely accepted among editors and administrators and are considered standards that everyone should follow. Contact any administrators for any proposed changes.
|Manual of Style|
The following is the Storm and Silence Wiki's General Policy, which is dedicated to outlining the code of conduct. The general policy encompasses all the principles listed below which establish the behavioural guidelines accepted in this wiki. These apply to the whole wiki and are definite. All the rights that are made for users on the wiki are allowed within a reasonable limit. If there are any questions, please contact an administrator.
DISCLAIMER: Not knowing about these rules is not an excuse for violating them. If a user is warned for breaking rules, then “I didn’t know” is not a valid excuse. It is required that ALL users read these rules before contributing to avoid any complications on this site.
Chat, Messages and Comments
- Warning — Please note that this wiki's Chat and Comments are not spoiler-free zones. All users have been warned and enter at their own risk.
- Be concise — Do not flood the chat. (i.e. saying one letter per said line) as it makes it difficult for other users to have a conversation.
- Spamming — Spamming with gibberish and nonsense is not acceptable.
- Profanity — Please forego the use of profanity. It is allowed to a certain degree, however, if users are using profanity to bully one or more other users, they will receive a ban depending on the severity.
- Sexually explicit images or content — Sexually explicit images are not allowed here and will result in immediate ban.
- Bashing — Verbally abusing the content here, or starting a conflict is unacceptable. It will not be tolerated.
- Harassment — Harassment will NOT be tolerated in this wiki, especially given the book series' themes. This includes:
- Insulting someone's race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or any other part of their persona.
- Harassing administrators and bureaucrats with pleads for a promotion to become another moderator, administrator, or bureaucrat. Promotions aren't easily given, but earned.
- Categories — Before making categories, please consult with an administrator or view similar pages. Adding random categories without the permission will be classed as spam, or badge gaming, and will result in bans.
- Infobox Images — Do not change the Infobox main picture of an article without consulting with an administrator first. An Infobox image is usually the official representation of the novel discussed in the article.
- Editing conflicts — When there is an editing conflict, the editors involved are expected to try and solve the issue on their own.
- When an editing conflict occurs, please revert the page to the last edit prior to the conflict and take the discussion to user message walls.
- If an agreement cannot be met in a civil way either on the article page or user message walls, the administrators will step in and take appropriate action.
- Unreliable information — Inserting false or unreliable information is not allowed, as this is a wiki site. If there are any questions regarding the verifiability of a source, ask an administrator!
- Fake pages — Making fake book pages or character pages are not acceptable, and will result in a ban! This is not a fanfiction site, the wiki is meant to serve as an encyclopaedia for the book series.
- Irrelevant pages — It is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN to make pages that have nothing to do with the Storm and Silence book series.
- Spamming — Spamming pages with gibberish and nonsense will not be tolerated.
- Trolling — Trolling, or posting things that make no sense to be funny is absolutely not allowed, and the troller will be banned.
- Replacing content — Replacing real content with fake or incorrect content as a joke is not taken lightly and will result in immediate bans.
- Irrelevant Images — Do not add random images that have nothing to do with the article, or remove information that is important to an article.
- Important pages — Tampering with templates or MediaWiki pages is not allowed without permission from an administrator and will usually be protected unless circumstances permit otherwise. If a user wishes to change something, consult with a site administrator first.
- Vandalism — Vandalizing pages with intentional destructive edits meant to lower the quality of the wiki or removing a large amount of content from a page without clear reason is absolutely not tolerated.
- If a page is vandalized, please report it to an administrator. The administrator will take proper action in dealing with the vandal.
- Redirecting vandalism – Page-moving vandalism (moving an article to a nonsensical or inappropriate title) is grounds for immediate indefinite bans.
- Advertising — Advertising one's business or something that will generate themselves money is forbidden and will result in an infinite-long ban.
- Illegal content — Users are not permitted to share or discuss torrents or warez, or any other illegal/copyrighted content on this site. If users wish to discuss it with one another, then discuss it elsewhere.
- Copyright violations — Users who continually post copyrighted material despite being warned will be blocked so as to prevent further violations.
- Respect copyright — Wikia uses the CC-BY-SA license. Everything users contribute must be compatible with that license.
- Avoid directly verbatim copying content into articles, whether from other websites, such as Wikipedia, or other official sources. Instead, add in an original write-up. An exception would be book synopses, in which case they should be copied in verbatim from the book summary.
- Achievements — The achievements system on this wikia is here to encourage contributions, reward individuals, and promote community growth. Pointsgaming (poor edits performed in order to accumulate points and badges) is not acceptable in the Storm and Silence Wiki and will result in being warned and eventually blocked from the wiki, particularly if the edits are harmful to the wiki.
- Users' pages — Editing or deleting other user's pages is forbidden, apart from correcting minor spelling, grammatical, or punctuation errors, or if users have been granted permission from the user in question. It would be seen as an act of harassment and will receive punishment.
- Sockpuppeting — using another account to circumvent a ban or block, is not permitted on the Storm and Silence Wiki. If it becomes known that a user is sockpuppeting, their sockpuppet will be infinitely blocked, and the block/ban the original account will be extended.
- Usually, when a user is going to be blocked, FANDOM's systems/servers identify any other accounts associated with the IP address in question.
- Impersonation — Impersonating an administrator or any other authorized user is never allowed and will result in an indefinite ban without warning.
Warnings and Bans
The wiki's warning system will provide multiple opportunities for editors to resolve any policy violations before they are banned. Editors who are found to be acting in malice are exempt from this warning system and may be immediately sanctioned.
- Reminder — Reminders are given for minor first-time policy violations and serve to officially notify the editor of the wiki policy. This will not apply to severe offenses.
- Warning — Most of the time, after a user breaks a wiki rule, they will receive a warning. Some serious offenses will go without a warning, but with minor violations, a user will receive ONE warning.
- Ban — If a user have already received a warning and continues to violate the wiki policy, or they commit a series offense, they will be blocked depending on the severity of the action.
- Extended Ban — If a user is blocked and harasses administrators using other accounts or on other wikis to get themselves unbanned, their ban time will be extended and they will be banned on alternative wikis or accounts.
- Indefinite — If a user continues violating major rules, including repeated and severe vandalism or vandal attacks after being banned, or commits a heinous act against another user or this wiki, they will be banned forever on this wiki.
The sanction system comprises eight different ban lengths that range from one-day bans to indefinite. The length of a ban will rely heavily on the severity of the violation, and it will be up to the discretion of the issuing administrator.
To Be Unblocked
If a user is blocked and either believes it was done unfairly or wishes to be unblocked, contact an administrator through other wikis (NOT through other accounts) and explain/apologize NICELY for the offense. They will reconsider the offense and punishment, and decide whether the block will be lifted or will stay. If the user continues to harass and violate rules, then they will be banned from that wiki and their existing ban will be extended.